In our Harmony Creed, we state that harmony lives in our “hearts, as well as voices.” Through barbershop harmony, we share our love of music, singing, and each other – living in harmony. It’s a great message to share with the world and we have that opportunity during Harmony Awareness Week!
During Harmony Awareness Week (February 9-15), share the love and joy of singing barbershop harmony!
If you’re part of a quartet or chorus, it’s a perfect time to get out in the community
– Host an open rehearsal/guest night and ask your local media (newspapers, radio stations, local TV) to promote your event.
– Plan a joint rehearsal/meetup with other quartets, choruses and vocal groups in your area – sing tags, invite guests, the more the merrier!
– Contact your community houses of worship to inquire about performing on their program as a way to encourage harmony in your community and the world.
– Ask your local municipality to recognize “Harmony Awareness Week” via proclamation.
– Send quartets or small ensembles to deliver complimentary Singing Valentines to nursing homes, rehab centers, shut-ins, etc.
– Perform a “pop-up” concert or flash mob like this:
– Kick up your Singing Valentines with “video Valentines” to deployed service members, separated couples, etc.
– Share your love of all things harmony on social media
– Hold a contest on social media for a free Singing Valentine
– Post your favorite Harmony, Inc. moment on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram or send it to us via email and we’ll share it on social
– Have members share their favorite harmony message on your chorus, quartet and personal social networks
– Tag everything with #HarmonyAwarenessWeek and fill up your feed with all things barbershop!
Show your love of harmony loud and proud!
– Wear your 60th Anniversary #harmonystronger, quartet, chorus or barbershop apparel
– Share your favorite quartet or chorus performance from our YouTube channel
– Don’t forget younger singers! Offer to teach a tag (or two) to a school choral class, youth group meeting or community college singing/music appreciation class.
Harmony members can log into our Public Relations tools site for press releases, brochure templates, flyers and more!
If you want to share our love of harmony, you can sing with us! Check out our website for the location of a chorus near you. If there’s not a chorus nearby, no problem – we can guide you how to start a chorus to help you find your voice and join our song!
Submitted by By Anita Prather Harvell
Social Media Coordinator