It is time to seek nominations for Board Directors and Area Directors to serve on the International Board of Directors. This year, four (4) Board Directors will be elected by the membership at large. Directors of Areas 2, 4, and 6 will be elected by the members of the respective areas. For further information, see the Corporate Manual.
The International Board of Directors is comprised of volunteers with a genuine interest in the future of Harmony, Inc. Serving on the International Board is a privilege we hope many of you will want to experience.
- Be a member of Harmony, Inc., in good standing, for a minimum of two (2) years at the time of nomination.
- Have previous administrative or board experience in a professional or volunteer capacity.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Have daily access to a computer and the skills required to communicate electronically.
- Be able to work independently and collaboratively and manage time effectively to meet deadlines.
- Attend two out-of-town or virtual meetings each year, November and May, approximately 4-5 full days each.
- Attend two virtual quarterly meetings, usually February and September, approximately 3 hours each.
- Attend additional virtual meetings as needed.
- Participate in additional Standing or Special Committees.
- Possess a valid passport enabling international travel.
- Commit to the culture and mission of Harmony, Inc.
- Possess a basic understanding of or a willingness to learn how to interpret financial reports.
- Support a culture of philanthropy.
- Desire to improve the organization for all members. Board members are respectful of our history but willing to look forward with a vision to see the organization grow.
- Dependable, organized, prepared and detail oriented. Board members must be willing to commit the time needed to accomplish the work of the Board.
- Strong verbal communication skills. Board members must effectively communicate in meetings and in written reports/documents. They encourage dialogue and listen to the ideas of others with an open mind.
- Board members must collaborate, adapt, think strategically, analytically and critically, in a professional manner, with a commitment to confidentiality.
- Board members must have a passion to serve the organization in a constructive and harmonious way!
Specialized skills that are considered an asset:
- Leadership or managerial background
- Knowledgeable in music
- Experience in the Not-For-Profit community
- Experience in Strategic Planning
- Experience in Marketing, Customer Service, Public Relations, Law or Finance/Accounting
- Experience as a chapter or Area officer, International Board member or assistant
- Effective public speaker
Deadline: Nomination forms (HAR 034, Part 1 and HAR 034, Part 2) must be returned to the Nominating Committee Chair and Corporate Office no later than April 15.
Forms: The Nomination Forms can be found on the Harmony, Inc. website under Forms/Documents in the members-only section.
We encourage anyone who may be interested in becoming part of the administrative team that will move our organization into the future to consider running for the Board.
Interviews: One-on-one interviews will be conducted with the nominees. These interviews will be posted to the Harmony, Inc. website. Watch for more details in the HI Note.
Board Directors – Board Directors will be expected to perform a variety of functions and must be flexible with the time and desire to take on extra duties. It is highly recommended to see the Corporate Manual for additional information.
Area Director – An Area Director’s primary responsibility is to represent her Area at International Board meetings and to keep in touch with the interests, concerns, and needs of the Area. It is highly recommended to see the Corporate Manual for additional information.
Attendance at Board Meetings – All International Board Members are required to attend all in-person and virtual Board meetings as determined by the Board of Directors. Newly-elected International Board Directors are expected to attend the Annual Meeting of the Outgoing Board. This has proven to be an invaluable way to get acquainted with the work and what will be required of them coming into their elected position.
Harmony, Inc. will only continue to grow and flourish if willing members give a little of their time and effort to make it happen. Allow your name to stand for election…it will be deeply appreciated by all Harmony, Inc. members.
Please remember the deadline for nominations – no later than April 15, 2021!
Submitted by Trinda Ernst
Nominating Committee Chair